If you are a cat owner, you probably know how picky cats are when it comes to selecting the food that they eat. You’ll often find them turning their noses far away from a certain plate of food and loving other things more than anything! Every cat parent might have faced this phase where the cat just refuses to eat. If you are in that state right now or know someone who is having a cat refraining from food at this point, you are on the right page. Keep reading!
Reasons for your feline refraining from food
As a cat parent, it is essential for you to understand that there has to be the reason for your little furry pet not eating. It could be some kind of discomfort or pain or something else. Or, maybe the bowl in which you are feeding it is not the right one. Yes, these cute little felines can be picky about that too! Here are a few common reasons that have been observed behind the cat, not eating:
Tooth or dental issue:
- Your pet might be having a broken tooth, oral tumor, issue in the tooth root, or even tooth resorption.
- Inflammation in the pancreas
- Obstruction in passing urine
- Digestive issues
- Kitty cold; an upper respiratory infection
- A kidney ailment
- Some stress or changes in the house
To put it simply, there is most probably some kind of medical reason behind the cat not eating anything. In case you observe some kind of discomfort in eating or any such issue, it is advised to get in touch with a vet and have her checked for any of the above-mentioned diseases.
Tips to make your cat eat better
Here are a few simple tricks that can help you to stimulate appetite for your little feline:
- Feed them canned or wet food. The best option would be to try some seafood to stimulate your cat to eat.
- Feeding them meat baby food can also help.
- When you serve them food, try and add a little water from a can of anchovies as well as tuna in their bowl of food.
- You could also add chicken broth to their food. However, avoid the broths which contain onions or garlic.
- Serve them warm food. You could warm their bowl of food in the microwave oven before submitting it to them.
- This might sound a little absurd, but you could add some grated parmesan cheese over their food. Yes, these little cats love it too!
- You could also sprinkle some yeast powder over their regular food. This powder has some kind of cheesy and nutty flavor which the cats find to be very appealing. Also, it is rich in Vitamin B. Thus, making it a better choice over the others.
Being a cat parent, it is sure to upset you when you see your little pet refraining from some of the best food that you offer to her. It is alright for the kitty to do so. Get it checked for any of the medical conditions. Also, try some of the tricks to enhance their liking for food in some way. Lastly, if you must travel during a time that your cat is not eating well, there are tools that can assist! Devices like the automatic cat feeder for wet food can help provide meals on a scheduled basis even if you are away.