The United States, according to a survey, “is one of the busiest countries in terms of road traffic with nearly 280 million vehicles in operation and more than 227.5 million drivers holding a valid driving license.” This is why, “In 2018, there were some 12 million vehicles involved in crashes in the United States.” Out of these accidents, over 20% were caused by one of the parties, or both, driving under the influence of substances like drugs, or alcohol. Driving while intoxicated is considered a big criminal offense and can result in jail time.
If you get into a car accident, the drivers involved in the accident will be taken by police to do some tests. These tests conclude how much alcohol is in the blood system of the drivers. If the blood alcohol level is ranging between 0.05% and 0.08%, the driver can be convicted on the charge of driving under the influence (DUI). While also being open to getting filed lawsuits against them by the offended party. A simple blood test to check the alcohol level bears no fruit. This is where the police can do more tests to find out if the people were driving under the influence.
What to do if you get caught for DUI?
People make mistakes all the time. Driving under the influence doesn’t always have to result in an accident. You can simply be stopped by the police and get caught driving under the influence despite being perfectly sound. If you or someone you know has had this happen to them, hiring a DUI Attorney is the best way to save face in court. A charge like this can ruin your reputation. In most cases where a person is convicted of DUI, they end up doing jail-time for over 6 months. This is why having legal representation is something we insist upon. The court process is quite lengthy in a DUI case consisting of several hearings. Having a lawyer by your side will ensure the outcome is in your favor.
Traffic accidents happen every day where the other party involved was driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You can hire a DUI lawyer to legally represent your case in court and get compensated for any damages received.
What you should look for in a DUI Lawyer
If you’re looking to get a criminal defense attorney, get a DUI lawyer who can handle your case for you. Look for one who has the experience and can be relied upon to get you what you deserve, freedom. A public defender will always have tons of cases on his docket, mostly consisting of DUI cases. A DUI lawyer will have the knowledge necessary concerning the laws and regulations of DUI in the state you’re convicted in. They will explain the kind of charges that are brought up against you, making you understand your case. With his expertise, the lawyer will also recommend to you the course of actions they can take while also urging you to take the best one.
While representing you in court, your lawyer will handle the administrative work that comes with a normal DUI case. A person can of course just plead guilty to the drug crimes but you won’t have to worry about doing that when you get a DUI attorney. A DUI lawyer can get your charges dropped or lessen the extreme punishments you might face after pleading guilty. Only a good DUI lawyer can handle these negotiations which take place before the trial. Even if your best option is a plea or sentence bargain, it’s important to have legal representation. This way, a court doesn’t see you as incompetent and rules against your favor.
During a trial, your lawyer can have his pick in the selection of a jury. By gathering witnesses and investigators that can help your case, your DUI conviction will be gone in no time. Here are 5 reasons you should hire a DUI attorney:
- Making a valid case: A DUI attorney can make sure your case is legal and validated by the rules and regulations concerning a DUI case. There are some rules and laws that just can’t be overlooked, which is exactly what a DUI attorney will help you understand. Many DUI cases aren’t focused on by courts. Since the convicted party is too incompetent to look after themselves, having legal representation shows you mean business.
- Keeping your reputation intact: A DUI case can ruin your chance at getting a job in the future or keeping your current job in safe hands. It’s a criminal offense and a huge violation of the civil rights people have. Your reputation can be ruined after getting convicted of DUI. With a DUI lawyer, even if you’re deemed guilty and are forced to serve community service, your reputation will be left intact. This will allow you to leave the court a better man.
- Saving face in court: Getting embarrassed in front of a whole court and getting slapped with a DUI charge is one of the worst things that can happen to an innocent person. They leave you with emotional damage while destroying your moral values for a simple mistake. Hiring a DUI lawyer will ensure your privacy is prioritized, and that the case is low-profile.
- Saving money: An experienced DUI attorney will navigate the legal system in a more efficient way than a normal public defender. This way you’ll end up getting out of the court process of a DUI case sooner than you think. You don’t have to worry about the hefty fees of lawyers and can save money by an efficient and smooth court process.
- Getting peace of mind: The peace of mind achieved by getting a DUI attorney is second to none. You leave and enter the courtroom with your reputation intact and feel more confident knowing a professional is handling your case. A DUI attorney is worth every penny, don’t worry about consulting them now!