Written in question-and-answer format, The Manager’s Answer Book is an easy-to-use guide providing information on many aspects of managing, broken down into the following categories:
- Getting started: moving from peer to manager, setting goals, managing projects, resources, and much more.
- Developing your management skills: communicating, delegating, motivating, and facilitating.
- Building and managing your team: hiring, firing, and everything in between.Creating your personal brand: building credibility for yourself, your team, and your department.
- Managing up, down, and around: working with people and functions in your organization.
- Avoiding potential land mines: conflict, change, and risk.
- Recognizing legal pitfalls: navigating the haze of laws and regulations.
Some situations you may find yourself in include:
- My predecessor was held in high esteem by everyone—but I’m not her and will likely have a different style. What do you suggest?
- I’m adjusting to managerial responsibilities, but feeling cut off from people I used to brainstorm with. Is there a way to keep both?
- What is ‘workforce planning’? Where do I start?
- What should I be looking for in managing third-party contractors?
- I think my company wastes a huge amount of time in meetings and I’d like to change this. What can I do?
- My to-do list is out of control. How do I prioritize?
- What can I do to bridge skills gaps I see on my team?
- We have a very diverse workforce. Can you offer guidance for managing/interacting in this environment?
The information in The Manager’s Answer Book is at times general in nature. Policies, processes, and protocols will vary from organization to organization and industry to industry. But The Manager’s Answer Book will help any manager stay informed and avoid unknowingly tripping over a new situation while providing insights into many situations and issues that managers face outside their own area of expertise.
Want to read more reviews of this book or buy it? Check out the links below:
Contributors: Tess Woods from Tess Woods PR LLC