From microwaves to showerheads, vinegar is one of the most popular, eco-friendly and versatile cleaning staples around. Here are some unique, DIY cleaning techniques using vinegar:
- Shower: Wipe your shower doors with distilled white vinegar to prevent soap scum and build up. For a clogged showerhead, pour some vinegar into a plastic bag and use a tie to secure it to your showerhead. Leave the bag overnight and remove before showering.
- Kitchen and bathroom Drains: To help keep drains clog-free, pour a cup of white distilled vinegar down once every 2 weeks. Allow it to sit for half an hour then run cold water to flush it out.
- Tile surfaces: You can scrub any countertop or use this solution to mop your floors. Mix 1/2 cup of white distilled vinegar with half a gallon of warm water to clean all tile surfaces.
- Mattress: It’s important to clean your mattress often to avoid dust mites, dead skin cells, etc. For stain removal especially, try spraying the mattress with vinegar and sprinkle baking soda over the top. You can place a towel over the area and let it sit for 1-2 hours. Then take your vacuum and go over the mattress for a final clean.
- Disinfectant: Before cold or flu season hits, you can use a 50/50 vinegar-water mix to wipe down doorknobs, handles, switches, etc. around the home.
Contributors: Leanne Stapf, Vice President of Operations at The Cleaning Authority