Hair transplant surgery is one of the most popular aesthetic treatments for men today. It is estimated that approximately 60 percent of men and 50 percent of women experience some form of hair loss. If this is a problem that affects so many people, why is there is often a stigma surrounding it? Some people are reluctant to talk about hair loss and have misconceptions about hair transplant surgery. Many believe that it’s a procedure for older men, that it may not succeed and that the results will be unnatural, but that’s simply not true. Let’s explore these popular misconceptions about hair transplant London.
Misconception #1: Hair transplant surgery is for older men
Many people believe that hair transplant surgery is a procedure for older men, but this simply isn’t true. Younger men with severe hair loss can benefit from hair transplant surgery. The ideal age for performing hair transplant London is 25 and over, but there are instances where it is feasible to perform a transplant after age 20.
- There is no maximum age for hair transplant surgery, many patients in their 70’s and 80’s have experienced excellent results.
- Hair transplant surgery is effective for women as well, providing that the patient has a sufficient area of hair from which to harvest hair for transplant
Misconception #2: Hair transplants look unnatural
The goal of a hair transplant surgery is to restore a patient’s hairline in a way that suits their facial structure and doesn’t appear artificial. In most cases, this means mirroring the original, natural hairline, as well as making sure that any natural direction changes that the hair follows are copied at the transplant site. How is this done?
- The surgeon must ensure that each hair follicle that’s taken from the back or side of the head (from the donor area) is inserted at the correct angle to match existing hair.
Misconception #3: Hair transplant surgery a gamble
There are no guarantees in life. Some people are unwilling to consider hair transplant surgery because are unsure about the results they will achieve. FUE (follicular unit extraction) still boasts the highest success rate out of all the hair transplantation procedures currently available. Hair transplants are more successful than over-the-counter hair restoration products. But there are some factors to consider:
- With an amazing 99.5% success rate, it is currently considered one of the most reliable surgical procedures. This is with the occasional minor hair loss that can occur during recovery
- Anywhere from 10 to 80 percent of the transplanted hair will fully grow back in an estimated three to four months.
- Like regular hair, the transplanted hair may thin over time.
- People with dormant hair follicles (sacs that usually contain hair beneath the skin but no longer grow hair) may have less effective transplants, but a recent study suggests that plasma therapy can help up to 75 percent or more of the transplanted hairs fully grow back
A large number of people struggle with hair loss and wish there was a solution for their bald spots, receding hairline or thinning hair. Many are reluctant to look into hair transplant surgery because they don’t believe they are ideal candidates or doubt whether it will be successful or give a natural look. A hair transplant is a procedure ensures high rates of success, providing patients with transformative results which ultimately restore a more youthful look.